Student Safety & Crime Prevention

Student Safety/Crime Prevention

What the University/Union does to protect you

  • The University has security cover for our campuses and our halls of residence. Security measures vary between locations and times of day, and may include campus lighting, security staff, CCTV coverage, an on-campus emergency phone number, trained first responders and more.
  • Personal safety alarms are available free of charge from the Students’ Union, the Accommodation Lodge in Glamorgan Court and the International Student Support Service in B68. Campus Watch
  • The University has launched the Campus Watch initiative to promote safety and security of students.
  • The University works with local police forces and promotes security related messages and communications to raise student awareness of various issues at relevant times in the academic year.


Mobile apps for safety

Phone security

First Aid


If you know the emergency phone number, and you have a good idea where you are when an emergency occurs, you should call it directly. If, however, you are travelling through foreign countries, or if you are in an unfamiliar area / place when an emergency occurs, it can be useful to have an app on your smartphone to help locate you for emergency services.

  • Echo112 is an app that geolocates you, finds the emergency number for the country you are in, and uses the phone’s GPS to locate you on a map which emergency operators can access online. The app makers claim that it works worldwide, but it is based primarily in Switzerland. It relies on the phone’s GPS and requires the phone operators to access a specified website.

Personal Safety

Personal Safety apps are fairly new and their effectiveness has not been proven or tested. Various apps exist, many of which charge one-off or subscription costs. These apps rely on setting up a list of contacts who can be contacted simultaneously if a person gets into trouble. However, in an immediate crisis, running away or ringing emergency services is likely to be safer than notifying friends and family through an app.

  • PanicGuard – Recommended by the UK Police, developed together with Crime Stoppers, this app turns a smartphone into a personal attack alarm, evidence collection device and an emergency contact tool.
  • Circle of Six – Need help getting home? Need an interruption? Two touches lets a circle of friends know where you are and how they can help.


More than 75% of twitter users do so mainly through a mobile device.

Twitter has an emergency alert system, allowing organisations such as the police to send messages during emergencies to users who opt in. When an alert is issued a user will receive a push notification, a text message and/or a message on their timeline with a special bell icon depending on user settings.

Twitter’s own page Using Twitter Alerts gives further information.

If you use twitter you can sign up for alerts from South Wales Police at or for Gwent Police at

To sign up for any other police service first find their twitter username then go to where xxx is the username.
There’s a list of police forces on twitter here.

Apps lists

Several websites and media outlets have published lists of apps that can help you protect yourself, be safe, or save lives. On our page, we tried to only include free apps.

The lists below include paid-for apps. Many of the apps will be US-centric, so it’s always worth looking into each app in detail before downloading it.

Protect your property

There are some common-sense steps you can take to make it less likely that you would become the victim of theft:


Basic Crime Prevention Advice

There are ways you can avoid making yourself an easy target for criminals:

  • Get a personal safety alarm to carry with you when you’re out. These are available free of charge from the Students’ Union (from the receptions and the Union Shops). Please don’t use them for pranks – if people get used to hearing them used in non-emergencies, they can get accustomed to ignoring them.
  • If you’re out walking alone, stick to busy, well-lit areas. Avoid risky shortcuts through alleys and deserted areas.
  • Plan ahead. Know where you are going, how you are getting there and who you are meeting. Always plan your return journey, and inform friends of your whereabouts.
  • Stay aware of your surroundings. Remember that chatting on the phone or listening to an mp3 can distract you from what’s going on around you.
  • Walk confidently and avoid carrying too much at any one time. Always try to keep one hand free.
  • Never accept a lift from a stranger or someone you do not know well- no matter how tired, wet or late you are.
  • Be responsible with your personal belongings, and keep them secure and out of sight.
  • If you witness or are the victim of a theft / robbery, it may not be safe to fight back against the criminal. Defend your life and your person at all times, but when it comes to property, don’t risk your life defending it.

Always report any criminal behaviour that affects you or that you witness to the police, because this could stop it happening to other students.

Handling money

Be safe and smart with your cash:

  • When withdrawing money, do so at a well-lit and secure cash point, and be aware of those around you at all times. If you can, use cash machines located inside banks.
  • Don’t be flash with your cash! Keep it safely tucked away out of sight.
  • Gentlemen: try to avoid carrying your wallet in your back pockets. Ladies: keep your handbags secure.
  • Check your statements for unusual spending. Contact your bank if you spot any unusual activity.
  • Treat your bank cards like the rest of your valued possessions – keep them safe and secure at all times.
  • Never write down your pin number or keep it with your card.


Useful numbers

It’s important to know, or have easy access to, the following phone numbers.

Emergencies in the UK 999
Emergencies in the EU 112
Medical problem (not life-threatening) in Wales or England 0845 46 47
To report a crime (if you’re not in immediate danger) 101
Security staff on your campus:
Newport City
Phone number
01633 432082
01443 668543
01443 483165
01633 435020
01443 482057
Nightline (20:00-02:00 Mon-Fri) 01633 432100
Directory Enquiries (low cost) 118 226 (See note below)
Gas leaks / emergencies 0800 111 999
Animal rescue 0300 1234 999

Directory enquiries note: There are hundreds of providers in the UK. Almost all cost money. The three most popular ones are 118 500, 118 118 and 118 888. There is a free one, 0800 118 3733, which is an automated speech-recognition based system, and you have to listen to adverts. There is even a way to access it at low costs or free from mobiles. However, for practical purposes, it may be easier to call a human service. Of the directory enquiries services that charge and are staffed by human operators, 118 226 is the cheapest (as of July 2013).

Also find out and add to your phone:

  • The numbers for reporting your bank cards lost or stolen. There may be a number to call from the UK, and a separate one to call if you are abroad
  • The phone number for your landlord
  • Phone numbers for your utilities providers
  • An ICE (in case of emergency) contact in your mobile’s phone book. If you name a contact ICE, and you are injured or unconscious, emergency responders may be able to call your nominated person much quicker if they are marked as such in your phone.



For information on how to recognise and deal with meningitus please see the link below:

Meningitus info


If you need an emergency response, call the emergency services on 999.

On the Caerleon campus, please also ring 01633 432082, or 555 from any University landline phone. The number is staffed 24h and on-campus first responders will assist you.

On the Newport City campus, please also ring 01633 435020, or 555 from any University landline phone. The number is staffed during building opening hours and first responders will assist you.


Medical emergency

If you witness or experience extremely serious situations, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance.

If you are on campus, phone security immediately so that they can give directions when the ambulance arrives.

  • Treforest: 01443 482057
  • Glyntaff: 01443 483165
  • Atrium: 01443 668543
  • Caerleon: 01633 432082
  • Newport City: 01633 435020

Urgent medical care

For urgent medical problems, contact your GP or NHS Direct Wales: Phone 0845 46 47. The number is staffed 24 hours a day. Or visit the NHS Direct website

A&E – (Accident and Emergency departments in hospitals)

You can go to a hospital’s A&E unit for accidents and emergencies.

Local A&E units (24hours)



Cardiff University of Wales Hospital
Heath Park
CF14 4XW
Tel: 02920 747747


Royal Glamorgan Hospital
Ynys Maerdy
CF72 8XR
Tel: 01443 443443


Royal Gwent Hospital
Cardiff Road
NP20 2UB
Tel: 01633 234234



In case of an out-of-control file, call the emergency services on 999 and ask for the fire brigade.

Reporting a crime

If you need an emergency response, call the emergency services on 999. Emergencies may include being subjected to fear of immediate violence, or if you are in the process of having your property damaged / stolen.

If there is no emergency, call 101 to log your complaint.

If you require non-urgent assistance – for example if you are the victim of harassment or you would like to report suspicious behaviour or you simply want police advice and assistance – please contact the non emergency number 101.

Please also see the Local police contact details page. It includes information about PACT meetings, local police staff and more.

On Campus incidents

Staff on the Newport and Caerleon campuses have been granted Accredited Police Powers by Gwent Police. You can reach them by phoning 555 from any University phone on the Caerleon and Newport City campuses.

For non-emergency situations and to report an incident, please contact Campus Watch.

You can also complete the form below.

All personal details provided will be held and processed by the University in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. This form is provided by WUFOO. Please visit for details of their privacy policy.