Drugs and Substance Misuse

On this page you can find out information related to drugs and substance misuse.

During your time at University there will be lots of new experiences and lots of opportunity to try out new things – some good, some not so good. Alcohol, prescription medication, illegal drugs and ‘legal highs’ can all casue problems.

There’s plenty of help available.

First contact

The first place to go for help depends on where you live:

Rhondda Cynon Taff and Merthyr Tydfil

The Drug and Alcohol Single Point of Access (DASPA) is a one call number which provides advice, information and an easier route into services for those affected by substance misuse. The freephone number 0300 333 000 is available throughout Rhondda Cynon Taff and Merthyr Tydfil.


e-das is the Cardiff and Vale single point of contact for access to services, advice and information, including a broad range of online information and support.

The phone number is 0300 300 7000.


N-DAS is the single point of contact for the Newport area for drugs, alcohol and other substance misuse issues.

The only number you need is 01633 263263.


Many organisations give information and support for drug and alcohol issues.

  • dan247 – Wales drug and alcohol helpline
  • Drugaid – Drugaid provide free confidential support delivered by trained workers for people experiencing difficulties with substances.
  • TheSite.org – Advice and information on drug addiction.
  • Drink Aware – For most adults, it’s fine to enjoy a drink. At the same time, we all need to look after our health and well-being. Drink Aware provides information about how to do both.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous – Alcoholics Anonymous provides a range of information, advice and face to face sessions to help people cope with drink related problems.
  • Down your drink – Most of us drink. Some of us drink more regularly than others. But how often is too often? And how much is too much?
  • Substance Misuse RCT – where people who live or work in Rhondda Cynon Taff can access information on drugs and alcohol.
  • TEDS – TEDS offers a confidential service to users of drugs or alcohol throughout the Rhondda Cynon Taff area.
  • Gamcare – GamCare provides support, information and advice to anyone suffering through a gambling problem.

University of South Wales support

Students who need support due to past or present addictions can access confidential support services on campus, or use the self-help resources recommended by these services:

Students may also wish to use the Nightline telephone support line, which is run by students, confidential, and not run by the University.

Relevant University policies

Students who consume, possess or trade in restricted or illegal substances risk being subject to disciplinary procedures. The University will cooperate with the police in any enquiries. Any illegal activity can have serious consequences for students.

Students who are experiencing difficulties or whose behaviour is a cause for serious concern may also require support and an intervention from the University.