International Student Funding

As an international student, funding options can be quite limited. It is important that you have fully explored every funding prospect and potential scenario while still in your home country. If you are already a student at USW, it is likely that you have been through this process as fully as possible. Whether you have chosen to self-fund, have a scholarship or have sponsorship from your home government, you may still encounter financial difficulties. If this occurs, it's important that you come to speak to us at the union/student services as soon as you feel you may be encountering difficulties.

As well as there being a significant number of trusts and charities providing financial support to home students, there are also many organisations providing opportunities for additional funding to overseas students. These organisations vary greatly in terms of the level of financial support they can provide and who they will provide support to. Your eligibility can depend on your nationality, your level of study or what stage of your studies you are currently at, your age, your gender and your chosen course of study. For more detailed information on the various organisations offering financial support to please come and see us at student services/the union and we'll be happy to take you through your eligibility and help you through the process of applying for additional funding.

If you encounter unexpected expenses due to unforeseen personal circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for assistance in the form of a Hardship Loan from USW. However, you should be aware that these loans will only be made in the event of unexpected circumstances; for example, political upheaval in your home country, the death of a sponsor or close family member, or a natural disaster. This list does not cover every eventuality that may occur and is by no means exhaustive, but hopefully it gives you an idea of the sort of circumstances which will qualify you for assistance through the Hardship Fund. Application can be made by completing the USWy Hardship Fund application form, which is available via the university website.

There are also a number of other University-administered trusts. If you'd like to discuss these further please come and see us at the union/student services.