Where to Look

Where to Look

Finding suitable accommodation may make a significant difference to your student experience at USW. For the majority of first year undergraduates and some international students, university residences are the preferred option, whilst others may find living in private rented accommodation more suitable.

Advisers in the Students' Union are available throughout the year to offer support and advice on seeking accommodation. We can't offer you accommodation (excluding Student Living) but will help you along the way.

University Residences

USW offers a variety of residences in student houses and halls. Priority will be given to first year and International Students; however, some rooms are usually available for other students.

Private Halls

There are a number of private student halls in Cardiff/Newport/Pontypridd. The main providers are Liberty Living and CLV.

You will have an ensuite room and all bills are included in the rent.

Privately rented accommodation

This can be found through either a letting agent, or directly through the landlord. For a room in a shared house you can expect to pay between £250 and £400 per calendar month, excluding bills. You pay for what you get, so for £300 the place should be pretty nice. We have a letting agent based in our Treforest campus building, so pop in to browse some of our houses. Even better Student Living do not charge agency fees which can be costly!


The best place to find a property to rent from a private landlord is through the University residences Private Sector listings.

Residences support Landlord Accreditation Wales. Accredited landlords are more likely to adopt good practice and provide you with a good service. When you are looking for accommodation you can check if an agent is accredited.

Letting Agents

We can recommend Student Living on the second floor of the Students' Union, Treforest Campus. They offer high quality accommodation and are one of the few agencies to charge no agency fees to students.

There are many other letting agents about. We cannot recommend any specifically but it is a good idea to use an agent that is accredited.

Agents usually charge a fee which will be up to £100. This fee should only be paid if you have agreed on a property to rent; you probably won't get it back if you change your mind. You should not be charged a fee just for showing you a house.

Need somewhere for less than six months?

Most privately rented tenancies will be for 6 months or more. If you looking to stay for a shorter time, your search might be a little harder.

Managed Houses

If you use a letting agency to find your house, make sure that you know if they are going to manage the property for the landlord. If the answer is yes, you will always deal directly with the agency if you have any problems or repair needs.


You might wish to lodge in someone's home. This can be a more flexible arrangement and a good option if you are looking for accommodation for 6 months or less. The following websites are useful:

  • Couch Surfing
  • Spare Room