Setting Up Bills


Gas, Electricity and Water

If bills are not included in your rent then you are responsible for paying them. This includes gas, electricity and water. On the day you move in, take the gas and electricity meter readings and pass them on to utility suppliers. If you don't do this, you could end up paying the previous tenant's bills. If you don't know who is supplying these services, ring the following numbers:

Gas: 08706 081524

Electricity - Meter Point Admin Service: 0845 6015972

Welsh Water: 0800 0520145

It is usually possible to have more than one name on the bills. If only one person signs for the supply then that person is liable to pay the bills. Make sure you are not the only person on the utilities contract.


Changing Supplier

If your contract doesn't prevent you from changing supplier you could check out the best prices on - but be warned, sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth.

Remember - fuel is expensive, so budget carefully and use energy efficiently. See for handy hints and tips.


Council Tax

Full time registered students are exempt from Council Tax liability. You will receive an exemption certificate from the University during November after you have moved in. If you share with tenants who are not students, they will be liable to pay Council Tax. Liability for council tax can be complicated, so if you are in doubt, seek advice from ARC.


Contents Insurance

Your landlord is responsible for insuring the premises, but you are responsible for insuring your personal possessions. Student houses are prime targets for petty criminals. Shop around for the best deals on contents insurance. We reccommend Endsleigh.


TV Licence

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one. To find out more, go to


Media and Broadband

The majority of students require internet services within their accommodation. Many different companies have offers on broadband packages, so make sure you shop around for the best deal. However, ensure that you read the small print before signing - you don't want to be tied into the contract for longer than your tenancy. You will need to obtain permission from your landlord.