ACCESS TO MICROWAVES & WATER FOUNTAINS
Students wanted access to microwaves to allow them to bring in their own food, and to save money. They also wanted to see more water machines that allowed them to stop using single-use plastic.
- The SU President has worked with The Estates department to secure microwave stations in Treforest and Newport, which will be available for September.
- The SU President will continue to work on securing microwaves for Cardiff and Glyntaff campuses.
- Following an AGM motion, the SU President is working with the outgoing Pontypridd Campus Rep to secure more water fountains on campus.
- The SU President, Activities Officer, Welfare Officer, Student Voice Team and some of the students on the team met with Estates. The green light was given to go ahead with the microwaves project. However, there needed to be discussions about the location of microwaves, ownership and risk assessments.
- The Student Voice Team and some of the students on the team went to visit Manchester University to look at their microwave provision, whilst already being in the area for a conference.
- Estates confirmed that they were buying, maintaining and cleaning the microwaves. They have now been installed in J Block in Treforest and B Floor in Newport, however, they will not be turned on until all health and safety checks and paperwork is completed.
- The Student Voice Team and Estates met to discuss health and safety. The Student Voice Team and one of the students from the team provided Estates with the documentation needed.
- The SU Marketing and Communications Manager has now started working on the signage needed for the microwaves.
- Estates will visit Glyntaff to find a good location for microwaves. This will most likely be the SU Student Box in Aneurin Bevan Building in Lower Glyntaff.
- Estates have confirmed in the Cardiff campus, students are welcome to use these two kitchens and the microwaves within them: CAA105A and CAA401A.
- The microwaves on Newport campus have officially been turned on! You can read about the launch of the microwaves on campus here.
- The microwaves on Treforest campus have officially been turned on!
- The SU is working on an infographic that shows the locations of all water fountains.
- The Student Voice Team has contacted Estates for an update on the microwaves in Glyntaff.
- Estates have contacted the Students' Union about some plans to change the student-facing area of Glyntaff, where microwaves will be installed. The Students' Union will be kept up-to-date with these developments.
Part of this theme has been brought up in Change Week 2019/20, therefore further updates will be given on Water Fountains on Campus.