Renting your next student home

Friday 22-11-2019 - 09:11

Everything you need to know about renting your next student home
You’ve survived Freshers Fortnight and fought off Fresher’s Flu, so as the first term comes to a close, the question of who’s living with who next year will start to surface. Do you live with course mates, with friends from your society, are you in a couple or will you go it alone? Whilst halls has been fun meeting new people, you may be looking forward to finding a more relaxed environment with friends and somewhere to start taking the studying side of your university experience a bit more serious.
Student Living by James Douglas has done the hard work for you and broken down everything you need to know for renting your next student home.

Don’t rush, there’s plenty available!
First things first, don’t feel pressured to look or book your next student home straight away. There are plenty of properties available, so take your time to make sure you pick the perfect property for you. Most letting agents and landlords will advertise properties from November for the following academic year. However, agents and landlords will continue to release available properties up until May next year.
Agent tip: “We usually find self-contained apartments and houses with en-suites are the most popular type of property and therefore these tend to go first. However, there are more properties than students so there will always be something available.”

Do your research
Working out who you want to live with is one hurdle, but have you also thought about other things like budget and location? For budget, work out how much you can afford per month and whether that figure would include bills or not. For the location, think about whether you want to live on a popular street close to the university and other amenities.
Some items to consider when looking for a house:
  • How much the rent is
  • Bond deposit amount (usually around 5-6 weeks rent)
  • No. of bedrooms
  • No. of bathrooms
  • Proximity to University
  • Car parking
  • Bills included
  • Furnished or Unfurnished
Agent tip: All agents and landlords now have to be registered and/or licensed with Rent Smart Wales, check for certification on their website and in their offices. Also, check things like Google reviews and whether they are affiliated with the University or Students’ Union.

What to pay and what not to pay
You may be aware of recent changes in the law means that letting agent or landlords cannot charge any agency fees for reserving a property.
❌Do not pay for viewings
❌Do not pay a fee for reserving a property
❌Do not pay for check-in or check-out inspections
❌Council Tax - a student exemption certificate from the university will cover this
✅Agents and landlords are allowed to charge a refundable holding deposit to reserve a property, they will either pay this back to you after 14 days or deduct it from first months rent or the security deposit.
✅ A security deposit (usually the equivalent of 5-6 weeks rent)
Agent Tip: It is also a legal requirement for agents to display a full list of ALL the fees they charge in their offices and on their website. If you are unsure of a fee that is being proposed, you can check these just to be sure.

How we can help

We understand that moving home can be stressful, and that’s why Student Living by James Douglas are here to help.

  • Partnered with the Students' Union and conveniently based in the SU building
  • No fees! We do not charge a holding deposit to reserve a property
  • We can provide deposit-free options (no bond to pay)
  • Rent Smart Wales licensed
Come and visit us on the middle floor of the SU building in Treforest or take a look at our website. Good luck with your property search! 

Related Tags :

More University of South Wales Students' Union Articles

More Articles...